Welcome to VBAS!
The Von Braun Astronomical Society is a non-profit organization of amateur and professional astronomers. We are sharing our love of space with the community through our planetarium and observatories located in Monte Sano State Park just east of Huntsville, Alabama.
- September 2022 ShowsFall Skies Saturdays, September 3 & 17, 7:30pm Autumn is a wonderful time to relax under the night sky. Ms. Delisa Collette will inspire you to do just that. Constellations and other beautiful objects are awaiting your discovery. As an added bonus, Saturn will be an awesome spectacle in our society telescopes after the show […]
- Practical Astronomy Course – 2022Class is full for 2022! Instructor: Jeff Delmas, VBAS Observatory Director Who Should Attend: The course is targeted to beginning observers, adults and teens, or those interested in a refresher course in basics observational astronomy. Course Description Learn the wonders of the night sky in a practical setting that involves both lecture and observing using […]
- August 2022 ShowsGreat Observatories of the World: Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) Saturdays, August 6 and 20 7:30 pm Truly great observatories are designed and built to see things never possible before. You probably have never heard of ALMA, the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array, but it is making amazing discoveries nearly every day. ALMA looks at light […]
- Astronomy Day 2022 – October 22ndVon Braun Astronomical Society will celebrate Astronomy Day on October 22nd in person at MonteSano State Park! Beginning at 1:00 p.m., events will include: solar viewing, mini-planetarium shows, rockets, vacuum-chamber demonstrations of what it’s like in space, and several other fun STEAM activities. At 7:00 p.m. VBAS will host special guest Ms. Alice Bowman, the […]
- July Planetarium ShowsBlack Holes Saturday July 2 at 7:30pm: What are black holes?How are they formed?Will our sun ever become one? Please come to our July 2nd family centered show for answers to these questions and more. Presented by Brenda Rogers James Webb Space Telescope Saturday July 9 & 23 at 7:30pm: On Dec 25th 2021, NASA […]