Welcome to VBAS!
The Von Braun Astronomical Society is a non-profit organization of amateur and professional astronomers. We are sharing our love of space with the community through our planetarium and observatories located in Monte Sano State Park just east of Huntsville, Alabama.
- Practical Astronomy CourseLearn the wonders of the night sky in a practical setting that involves both lecture and observing using your own telescope or binoculars. Whether you’ve purchased a telescope and want help learning your way around the night sky, are thinking about getting a telescope and want to learn about available equipment and techniques, or just […]
- Our new society website is live!Welcome to VBAS’s new website! Developed in collaboration with a talented class of students at UAH, this new service is now in operation to benefit VBAS membership and the general public. If you’d like to visit the legacy website, click here. It will be online for a while longer, though it will not be receiving […]
- S21 Direct Drive – Part 17
- July 2021 Member MeetingWe have resumed monthly in-person Society meetings (no planetarium shows, just yet). Join us for our July monthly Society meeting in-person at the Planetarium on Friday, July 16th at 7:30 PM (7:00 PM for pizza!). Our program will by presented by Frank Schenck, VBAS Director of Facilities and Equipment, and will be about Lunar and […]
- What’s up in the Night Sky – October 2020As we currently have suspended our public activities, including planetarium shows and outreach events we have put together a brief video tour of the September night sky for your enjoyment. We hope to be able to explore the universe with you in person soon but until then we will have to do so virtually.