Welcome to VBAS!
The Von Braun Astronomical Society is a non-profit organization of amateur and professional astronomers. We are sharing our love of space with the community through our planetarium and observatories located in Monte Sano State Park just east of Huntsville, Alabama.
- July Planetarium ShowsBlack Holes Saturday July 2 at 7:30pm: What are black holes?How are they formed?Will our sun ever become one? Please come to our July 2nd family centered show for answers to these questions and more. Presented by Brenda Rogers James Webb Space Telescope Saturday July 9 & 23 at 7:30pm: On Dec 25th 2021, NASA […]
- June Planetarium ShowsAstronomer William Herschel Saturday June 11, 7:30: William Herschel made numerous discoveries that give cause for some to call him the father of modern astronomy. His most famous discovery doubled the size of the Solar System. Come learn about this musician/composer turned astronomer/telescope maker who left forever one of the biggest marks in the history […]
- June 17th – Member MeetingDon’t miss the Monthly Meeting on Friday, June 17! 7:00 pm for Pizza, 7:30 pm for our speaker, Makaila Jennings, who will give a presentation on “How Distance Affects the Double Dip Transit Photometry Method’s Ability to Detect Exoplanets.” In our quest of whether there is life outside of our solar system, the focus has […]
- VBAS Equipment Sale and Annual Meeting – May 20thVBAS will host an equipment sale and silent auction on Friday, May 20th, 2022 at 7:00pm. That date is also our regular monthly meeting and, in fact, our Annual Meeting at which we’ll elect new officers. Pizza will be served. Some of the items up for auction include a Meade 10″ LX200, Celestron SP-C 102, […]
- May 2022 ShowsMay 7th, 7:30pm Mom’s are Out of this World! On this Mother’s Day eve, join us for a presentation to learn a little global Mother’s Day history and then hear some stories about a few celestial moms while we explore our planetarium night sky. Presented by Alex Hall May 14th, 7:30pm Eclipses On Sunday night […]