Welcome to VBAS!
The Von Braun Astronomical Society is a non-profit organization of amateur and professional astronomers. We are sharing our love of space with the community through our planetarium and observatories located in Monte Sano State Park just east of Huntsville, Alabama.
- December 2022 ShowsStar of Wonder December 3rd, 10th, 17th at 7:30pm What exactly was the star that the Wisemen saw? Was it a star that stood in the sky two-thousand years ago and marked a single location in Bethlehem? Each year at this special time, VBAS turns back the hands of time to look into the sky […]
- 2022 Telescope Buyer’s GuideChoosing a first telescope for yourself or a loved one can be a daunting task. There is literally no limit to the amount of money that can be spent on telescopes and related equipment. Luckily, modern development of quality optics on simple, stable mounts and more recent advancements in low cost electronics and software means […]
- November 2022 Members MeetingPlease join us at 7:30pm on November 18th for our monthly members meeting at VBAS! Radio Astronomy from the Moon: A discussion on the science from upcoming CLPS missions to the lunar surface with low frequency radioastronomy instruments We’re welcoming guest speaker Dr. Heidi Haviland, a planetary scientist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center. Heidi’s scientific research […]
- November 2022 ShowsRadio Observatories November 5th, 12th at 7:30pm We’ll be taking a look at radio telescopes of the past, present, and future. Radio telescopes have some very interesting designs and have made some extremely important discoveries. Radio Astronomy is even in VBAS’ near future. They’ll be opportunities for you to participate if you are interested. Presented […]
- October 2022 ShowsRetrogrades, Oppositions and Conjunctions Saturday, October 8, 7:30pm Mercury must be retrograde. Mars is at opposition. There’s a conjunction of Jupiter and the Moon. Phrases like these are often found in popular media and are used by astronomers to describe the relative positions of things in the sky. But what do those terms mean? We can […]