Welcome to VBAS!
The Von Braun Astronomical Society is a non-profit organization of amateur and professional astronomers. We are sharing our love of space with the community through our planetarium and observatories located in Monte Sano State Park just east of Huntsville, Alabama.
Donate to Help VBAS Improve Facilities!
- March 2023 ShowsAll planetarium shows begin at 7:30pm. Admission opens at 7:00pm. Telescope viewing afterwards on clear nights March 4 – Huntsville’s Place in Space As we prepare to go back to the Moon for the first time in over 50 years, the importance that Huntsville played both back then and right now is something to remember. […]
- Our Bathroom Situation (or Project “Seventh Planet from the Sun”)And the seventh planet is…. ? When our tiny bathroom was built along with our first observatory in 1956, you had to climb stairs to view the stars, so no-one really thought about having a toilet that could accommodate a wheelchair, a parent with a child, or anyone with any mobility difficulties. There were even plans […]
- February 2023 ShowsAll planetarium shows begin at 7:30pm. Admission opens at 7:00pm. Telescope viewing afterwards on clear nights February 4 – The Sun and Solar Cycle 25: Connections Between the Sun and the Solar System What if you flipped a light switch and there was no light? What if Google Maps stopped working or was inaccurate? This […]
- Huntsville’s Disappearing Dark SkiesMembers of VBAS and Starry Skies South put together an article detailing Huntsville’s recent roll out of LED illumination. Read it here!
- January 2023 ShowsAll planetarium shows begin at 7:30pm. Admission opens at 7:00pm. Telescope viewing afterwards on clear nights. January 7th – The Planetarium: A Magic Carpet We can use the star projector in the planetarium to pretend to fly anywhere on Earth – like a magic carpet! Gena Crook will demonstrate the motion of the stars across […]