Welcome to VBAS!
The Von Braun Astronomical Society is a non-profit organization of amateur and professional astronomers. We are sharing our love of space with the community through our planetarium and observatories located in Monte Sano State Park just east of Huntsville, Alabama.
Donate to Help VBAS Improve Facilities!
- May 19th – Annual Membership MeetingThe May meeting will be our Annual Meeting, where we elect new board members and vote on changes to the bylaws. Bylaws Bylaws changes were proposed by the Bylaws Committee, and approved by the Board of Directors, who recommends a vote of approval by the membership. Or copy and paste this URL: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J6ysxclPQPsj1OJfS_jYItKWCCMZS38nRTD__4GuhtQ/edit?usp=sharing Officer Elections […]
- May 2023 ShowsAll planetarium shows begin at 7:30pm. Admission opens at 7:00pm. Telescope viewing afterwards on clear nights May 6th & 13th – 3D Printing in Space What is 3D printing, and how does it work? Join us for a tour of 3D printing processes and learn how they are being applied to further the missions of […]
- April 14th – Messier MarathonThis event has concluded. Thanks to all who attended! Bring your telescope and join us Friday after dark on April 14th for our 2023 “Messier Marathon” Star Party in the VBAS observing field in the Monte Sano State Park. The gate opens at 6:30pm, sundown is 7:18pm. The observing starts as soon as it’s dark […]
- April 2023 ShowsAll planetarium shows begin at 7:30pm. Admission opens at 7:00pm. Telescope viewing afterwards on clear nights April 1 – The Moon All about our natural satellite, the Moon, and how it is unusually large for a small planet like Earth, and how its origin may have been much different from the 214 other moons in […]
- March 2023 ShowsAll planetarium shows begin at 7:30pm. Admission opens at 7:00pm. Telescope viewing afterwards on clear nights March 4 – Huntsville’s Place in Space As we prepare to go back to the Moon for the first time in over 50 years, the importance that Huntsville played both back then and right now is something to remember. […]